From: Jenn Dougherty, Certified Essential Oil Coach- Natural Advantage Wellness
I stopped in to pick up some things at our Conifer Staples on June 20th the first official day of summer! Guess what they were doing …putting out the school supplies! My heart sank. Ugh! Summer goes by so fast doesn’t it? Whether you send your kids to school, homeschool, or go to school yourself, there are several different essential oils that can help transition from lazy summer days back to early mornings, rigid schedules, and homework. In the hustle and bustle of back to school shopping you can also take the time to prepare your child’s body for school.
Here are my Top 5 favorites for back to school:
- Protective Blend (On Guard) –Before school even begins support your immune systems with this amazing blend that smells like Autumn! This blend of oils includes Cinnamon, Clove and Wild Orange, rosemary, and eucalyptus. Diffuse, use the hand sanitizer spray, or utilize the beadlets or throat drops – make it part of every day! You can even put 1-2 drops in a bowl of water and soak apple slices in it for a healthy immune boosting snack -Yum!
- Focus Blend (In-Tune) – Designed to enhance the body’s ability to focus and support healthy thought processes. This blend can help children, parents, or the teachers focus and stay on task. Many oils in this blend contain high levels of sesquiterpenes, which have been proven to pass the blood-brain barrier to reach the cells of the brain. I’ve been known to apply this blend to the back of my children’s neck as they are eating breakfast. You can also apply to the bottom of the feet morning and/or night and whenever needed throughout the day.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is wonderful to support the brain in retaining information. In fact, it’s being used in memory care facilities for Alzheimer’s/Dementia patients. Rosemary is known to improve brain performance and mood. I recommend diffusing this oil when the kids are studying or doing homework. Reluctant kiddos? Add a drop or two to your child’s shampoo!
- Lemon – Lemon is known as “The Oil of Focus “. Its citrusy aroma nourishes the mind and aids in concentration. Lemon is a wonderful aid for children who are struggling with school. It pairs well with Rosemary! So, you can make a roller bottle with Rosemary and Lemon and apply to the wrists, back of the neck, or diffuse this powerful duo before school.
- Citrus Bliss – Especially great for waking up in the morning, mood lifting, energizing and just general happiness. If you have a cranky morning kiddo this is the oil for you! Diffuse or mix with water for a room spray (only mix in glass not plastic) or just smell from the bottle. Citrus blend smells like a creamsicle – everyone likes creamsicles! Sometimes when my family likes to complain about me and my oils I just put it on myself and go stand next to them. 😉
A note on quality: I only use and recommend pure therapeutic-grade essential oils. The suggestions above assume that high-quality essential oils are being used. Personally, I am a doTERRA user, but there are other high-quality oil brands out there. Be sure to do your homework and don’t assume if you are buying them from a health food store they are high quality-most are not!
Natural Advantage Wellness offers Integrative Health Classes & Workshops and is a doTERRA Essential Oils & Products distributor!
For a schedule of upcoming classes please visit www.naturaladvantagewellness.com/events